MENU
Contact us

Contact us

Worcester People and Places Articles

Witchcraft Misc  17th century dtes

Witchcraft Misc 17th century dtes

  • 1601 Charge brought against John Genifer for threatening others and calling a 'poor wife' a witch
  • 1633 Widow Bellett of Stony Morton, charged 'for practicing the evil art'. 
  • 1660 Elinor Burt taken before magistrate, for taking on herself to cure several diseases and distempers by prayers and laying on her hands upon heads and...

St Nicholas Street and Percy's Alley

St Nicholas Street and Percy's Alley

The old name for St. Nicholas Street was 'Gaol Lane'. The deeds of an old house, which stood next to the Imperial Hotel, dated 1585, were in existence in 1910, though the house had gone with the widening of the road. The house was known as 'Ye Gaol Tower, close to ye Postern Gate leading to Losemoor (today known as Lowesmoor) near ye Garden Market' and 'within hail of the High Cross in Gaol Lane'. The old house used to have a doorway with some pretention to ornament, led up to by a flight of steps. The deeds and other old evidence show that it had been occupied by personages of distinction in local affairs. In the mid 19th century, there was a court in Lowesmoor called 'Percy's Alley'.... Read on below 


Old Worcester - Miscellaneous Information of Interest -  ongoing

Old Worcester - Miscellaneous Information of Interest - ongoing

 

  1. Prison Schoolmaster, Ariel Constable, lived at No 1 Easy Row
  2. Holy Trinity Girl's School erected 1834 by subscription on site gifted by the Bishop of Worcester.
  3. Boer War Memorial by W.R. Colton, ARA, unveiled Sept 26, 1908.
  4. Fall of Chimney at White Hart, College Street, Feb 3, 1960..
  5. Lord Napier at Guildhall, back from Abyssinia, in company of Sir John Pakington, Sec for War and USA. Ambassador. 1868.
  6. Fred Corbett (Stroller), died Dec. 1939 aged 97, was Mayor 1882...

Potato Rationing

Potato Rationing

Potato rationing during the 1914-18 War at Worcester


Bread Dole art the Cathedral

Bread Dole art the Cathedral

The Receiving of the Bread Dole in the Chapter House of the Cathedral..


Earl Lying in State at the Crown Inn

Earl Lying in State at the Crown Inn

The Worcester Herald of January 26, 1901, featuring items of news from it's archives of one hundred years before, reported the following:


The Horns of Dr. Jenner's Cow

The Horns of Dr. Jenner's Cow

High on the north wall in Anderson & Virgo's chemist shop, which was in the Foregate Street, over the shelves, was displayed the horns of a cow. It had this place of ..


Perry Wood

Perry Wood

Pirie or Perry Wood is the last fragment of the forests that once closely surrounded Worcester. In Elizabethan times, the wardens of Feckenham Forest met at the...


A common Hall to save the Arboretum

A common Hall to save the Arboretum

A common Hall is a public meeting of citizens. When half of the 3,000 ratepayers showed no interest in the saving of the Arboretum, a Common Hall was called. There had been Common Halls called for before, but probably none as so rough...


The Arboretum Fountain

The Arboretum Fountain

A newscutting in the Foley Scrap book (W.o.r)) describes the fountain which formed the centrepiece of the Arboretum Gardens:                                                                                                                         'The fountain was designed by Barron, and is similar to the one at Witley Court. The diameter of the kerb is 48ft. There are...


The Loss of Sansome Fields and the Arboretum

The Loss of Sansome Fields and the Arboretum

In April 1931, MR.J Mayglothling, a well-known Non-conformist local preacher, then 82, making a speech which was reported in Berrow's Worcester Journal, said.....

  


Noake's Recollections

Noake's Recollections

Noake, the Victorian historian, wrote: 'Ancient names are the key-stones of history and should be scrupulously preserved'... The original name of Warmstrey Slip was Cowell's Lode. (This was the pre-1570 , Lode is the old name for a river crossing, but even Warmstrey Slip is none gone). Sansome was the name of the ...


Memories of Worcester in the 1880s - What would they think today one must wonder !

Memories of Worcester in the 1880s - What would they think today one must wonder !

John Fletcher, in 1908, recalled the changes at Worcester from when he last visited in the City in the 1880s. Three in particular are mentioned; The ford at Barbourne Brook, the loss of the Inglethorpe Almshouses in Taylors Lane, and the removal....


A Storm of Periwinkles in 1881

A Storm of Periwinkles in 1881

A phenomenal storm took place at Henwick in 1881. Mrs. Millward of Bromyard Road recalled the incident when she was a girl: 'I was 8 or 9 at the time. There was an awful storm. When we left school in the afternoon, as soon as we heard what had happened, we ran there and picked up shell fish, putting them in our pinafores wet and dirty. Mother said they were snails. There was much talk about it at the time........  


Edward Webb

Edward Webb

Edward Webb took a prominent part in the life of the City, He was Mayor in 1847-8, and was a strong supporter of Dr. Charles Hastings during the local battle for the Health of Towns Act, when even ..........


Isaac Gordon, Money Lender

Isaac Gordon, Money Lender

Money lenders in the past were often Jews, and one of the most notorious was Isaac Gordon, who kept a money lending office in Bridge Street in the 1880's. He was sentenced at Worcester Assizes to a term of imprisonment for defrauding a Herefordshire farmer and the exposure of his extortions contributed to secure legislative regulations of money lending.