The Friary extended from Friar Street eastwards to the City walls, its church dedicated to St.Laurence, standing outside the walls at the bottom of St. Laurence's Lane, which later became Union Street. Sadly in 1822, the Corporation decided to build a new prison on the site. The beautiful half-timbered Friary, with its church, garden and orchard abuting upon the City walls could so easily have been preserved, but to save a few hundred pounds, an irreparable loss was inflicted upon the City. The present Greyfriars appears to have been the Guest House of the Frairy. In 1603, the Worcester Corporation granted a lease of the property for 400 years, and for many years it was the home of the Street family, one of which, George Street, a staunch Royalist, was removed from the City Chamber when the Earl of Essex entered Worcester in 1642. In 1643 he died, at the early age of 49, being followed by his widow in 1644. It was stated on their tomb in St. Andrew's Church, that 'she could not bear to be left behind', but as the plague was rampant in Worcester in that year, she probably had little choice. Their son, Sir Thomas Street, was a barrister, and filled many important offices. He was Town Clerk and Recorder of Worcester, and of Droitwich, and M.P for Worcester City in five Parliaments between 1659 and 1681. In 1659 the Puritans tried to turn him out of Parliament, and on the grounds that he had borne arms for the King and that he had used profane language, but the Committee of Privileges had to admit that he had not fought against Parliament, and that he had used no stronger language than, 'by faith and trothe'. Sir Thomas rose to high rank in his profession and became a figure of national importance, when he alaone of twelve judges pronounced against the right of James II to grant Dispensation from the Test Act. At the beginning of his enemies. Street's public career ended with the coming of William III, who would not even grant him an interview.
By 1698, the lease of Greyfriars had been sold to the Maris family, who lived there for over 100 years, and then in 1724, it was let to Daniel George, a baker and maltster, who turned the top of the house, immediately under the rafters, into a tiled withering floor, the tiles being cemented down to the boards. (Withering is part of the process of preparing the barley for malting). It was the George family who divided the Friary into four tenements, and built the row of ten cottages in the garden, eastward to the City Wall; the road through the Friary gateway became known as George's Yard. About 1870, Henry Schaffer, a Germam refugee from the 1848 Revolution, further mutilated the building by converting the hall into shops despite sharp local criticism, especially from John Noake, the local historian. It was the beginning of the process whereby the Friary became one of the worst of the City's slum properties. The roof was in a terrible state of dilapidation, with rain coming through to the rooms below. Part of the building had become a green grocers, and the back rooms were filled with the vegetable debris of years. Part of the timber framing, that part of the building known as Thompson's Trust, actually fell into the street. It remained in that state until the 1940-50's, when the property was purchased by Mr.W.J.Thompson, and restored by Mr.J.Matley Moore.
The Greyfriars School
Previous to Schaffer's ownership, the prinicipal part of the building was in the occupation of Mr. Christopher Bardin, an old gentlemen of venerable aspect, who conducted a private school at modest fees, in the days when public elementary education was in its infancy. Just as the refectory of the Benedictines became the King's School, so the refectory of the Franciscans became Mr.Bardin's. There he trained more than one generation of small shopkeepers, continuing to keep the school long after it had ceased to keep him. The old gentlemen, in his later years fell on evil days, as was not uncommon with private schoolmasters, but he was a fine gentleman to the last, with his dignified bearing and old world courtesy.