MENU

Church Curiosities Articles

St. Cuthbert's and Lower Wick

St. Cuthbert's and Lower Wick

In the farmyard of Lower Wick Manor Hose, (also known as Bennetts Dairy), is an ancient building of red sandstone, and some architectural merit, but which has long used as a farm building...


A Medieval Custom at St. Nicholas's Church, Worcester

A Medieval Custom at St. Nicholas's Church, Worcester

St. Nicholas Church on The Cross was rebuilt in the 1730's, but a few courses of the medieval church can still be seen, the crypt being ancient. In olden days a delightful..


Dr. Gott, Dean of Worcester

Dr. Gott, Dean of Worcester

Dr. Gott, famed at Worcester for his forgetfulness, was aggressively approached by a religious fanatic when on the London Underground going to Victoria Station..


The Cathedral Library

The Cathedral Library

The Cathedral Library is older than the present Cathedral. There is a record of a gift of a book to the Church of Worcester as long ago as 780 A.D by King Offa - ..


St. Oswald and the Little Devil

St. Oswald and the Little Devil

The first Cathedral at Worcester was built by St. Oswald in 983 A.D. but was almost completely destroyed when Wulstan built the great Norman Church in 1084. All that remains..


Saint Wulstan

Saint Wulstan

William of Malmesbury left us a fine description of the great Bishop of Worcester, St. Wulstan. Here it is translated by J.H.F. Peile, Archdeacon of Worcester; 


Monks & Friar's Feud at Worcester 13c Report Worcester Berrows Newspaper 2 Jun 1977

Monks & Friar's Feud at Worcester 13c Report Worcester Berrows Newspaper 2 Jun 1977

Article By Canon G.H.Browning - Berrows 2.6.77

We are familiar with reading about the Saturday skirmishes between supporters of the 'Rovers' and the equally ardent supporters of the 'United'. Our Monday morning papers tell us only too often, of casualties sustained by the fans of the 'Blues' or the shop windows and railway fittings smashed by the invading troops of the 'County'.

It comes as no surprise however, to read of hooliganism which was rampant in the City of Worcester about the year 1300 and which took an unusual form...


Watergate at Worcester Cathedral

Watergate at Worcester Cathedral

The Watergate was built in 1378 in the reign of Henry V, 'Frater William Power, cellerer made ye gate'. The boatman was paid a salary of 16s. 8d a year....


Beating the Bounds at St. Helen's Parish 1908

Beating the Bounds at St. Helen's Parish 1908

The Parishioners of St. Helen's Parish about to set off to beat the Parish bounds in 1908. The ladies in the front have maps of the route and ..


St Godwald's Chapel

St Godwald's Chapel

Godwald was an abbot-bishop in Brittany of great virtue and high birth. He had a monastery of clergy on an island called Locoal, and a retreat on a small ...


St. Andrew's  Spire

St. Andrew's Spire

The original top of the spire was first taken to Mr. Rowley Hill's residence at St. Catherine's, London Road, but in 1918, Canon Phillips, got ..


First City Organ or Chimes

First City Organ or Chimes

It seems that St. Swithun's parish was the first to have an organ or chimes. A record records 'July 17, 1661, agreement between Richard Beddoes and....


The Trinity Wake

The Trinity Wake

Every year, on the eve of Trinity Sunday, garlands were suspended from the balcony of Queen Elizabeth's House, each person in the ...


St Clements Church

St Clements Church

St. Clements Church was formerly on the east bank of the Severn, at the bottom of Dolday. It suffered badly from ..


The Demolition of St. Andrew's Church, Worcester

The Demolition of St. Andrew's Church, Worcester

In 1947, St. Andrew's Church was in a bad state, having been made redundant for some years. The parish was unable to repair it or keep up the churchyard, which was 'neglected and overgrown'. The council acquired the church for...


Comer Gardens

Comer Gardens

Comer Gardens was once an isolated 'garden village', built in the 1850's, of detached houses on both sides of a lane, well set back with long gardens in front...