In 1947, St. Andrew's Church was in a bad state, having been made redundant for some years. The parish was unable to repair it or keep up the churchyard, which was 'neglected and overgrown'. The council acquired the church for for demolition but 'desired to retain' the steeple and tower because of its architectural beauty. The pulpit was removed to St. Martin's London Road, Worcester, the screens to St. James Church, Kenilworth, Cape Town, South Africa, and the seats to the Deaf and Dumb Institute.
Matley Moore acquired some of the floor slabs for the Hall of the Greyfriars.