The Company, Hardy and Padmore was founded in 1814 , when Robert and John Hardy migrated from across the Scottish border to set up business in Worcester. Fifteen years later they were joined in partnership by Richard Padmore who arrived from Shropshire
Worcester has always been associated with the metal trades. In Roman times it was an important smelting centre. Their bloomery hearths leaving a field of rich iron slag from Broad Street to Pitchcroft, and from The Cross to the Severn.
Early Workings: Coal was worked like an agricultural product, and pits were regarded as part of the manorial estate, with leases to let to tenants. there are records of coal being worked in Worcestershire in the 13th century.
For the purpose of this work it is necessary to use the old boundaries of the Forest of Wyre, which approximated from the Forest Gate (Foregate) of the City of Worcester northwards to the Stour Valley, and westward to the valley of the Teme
Thos Hawkes, 'The Iron King', M.P fot Dudley, 1825-50 John Bradley, half-brother of James Foster, Stourbridge. James Foster, M.P. for Bridgnorth, of Apley Park. Frederick Smith, controller of mining estates and ironworks for Lord Ward
Lord Paget, 1563-63. Earl of Leicester, owned ironworks near Cleobury Mortimer, 1563-76. Earl of Shrewsbury, had furnace and forge, 1564. John Littleton, 1566-70. Richard Hanbury, 1578, of Elmley Lovett. Established ironworks at Pontypool. His descendant
The Making of Iron About 5% of the eath's crust is of iron. All iron ore are used in ironworks are combinations of iron and oxygen - the oxygen being removed to obtain usable iron. At one time, only ore with 40% iron was used, but now with new techniques