The Blanquets

  • 22 Aug 2023
  • Historical Studies
  • Back

The area west of Bilford Road belonged to the Blanket family until the close of the War of the Roses, when for five generations it was in possession of the Freres. After the late Elizabethan period it was passed through several hands, but around 1820, it was owned by the well-known family of Stallard's, when it was much improved. The growth of the City to the north  inevitably overwhelmed this suburban beauty spot. In the 19th century the name got 'Frenchified' from Blankets to Blanquets.