The City authorities were bound by an Act of Henry VIII (33.19) to maintain a place for archery practice, and to train the City levies in the use of the bow. This required a place where the butts could be fixed. The dry ditch outside the wall furnished the level space, and the name has remained to mark the spot. In 1645, Symonds records: 'At Worcester Prince Maurice hath made without the ditch (that is dry on the side which goes to Droitwich) a low breast work, and a stockade without, the top of the breast-work is not a foot above the ground on the outside. Very necessary to safe-guard a dry ditch and wall'.