The Holy Well at Henwick was an exceptional fine spring, which in medieval times had been piped to the Cathedral, and which the Prior had used in the baths which he erected for the use of the monks on Holywell Hill, in return for the transference of St. John's tolls to the Worcester Bailiff in 1461. The water was credited with possessing curative properties for the eyes, and extensively used for that purpose. The lead pipes which conveyed the water to the Cathedral were pulled up by the Parliamentary troops during the seige of Worcester and used as bullets.
Later, a celebrated Porter Brewery in Hylton Road, used the water and acquired a great reputation by it in the Midlands. The brewery was destroyed by fire in 1791. The water was regarded as the purest in Worcester, and sold at 1/2d a can. Yet despite its fame, the well was despoiled in the 1870's and the well bricked up. During the 18th century, the house nearby was used as a public pleasure house where 'tea-parties' and public breakfasts took place, and was well patronised during the weeks of the music festivals and race meetings.