Until 18c. the carpenter was most important in the buildings of Worcester, but then gave way to the mason and bricklayer, just putting in parts of roof timbers. The City Corporation helped with grants to rebuild the churches damaged in Civil War. Worcester became an essentially a brick town, built from Severnside bricks. Still up to 1800 many mercahnts still living inside walls with large gardens. The City was not keen to have merchants move because loss of rental and rates. The highest valued land was the Quays, with rents high. The first move outside the walls wetre into The Tything and to Sidbury area.
Worcester had three periods of growth in Georgian period: 1717-1750; 1780-1800; 1820-1830. Of the first period, the Berkeley Almshouses were the first and a little early: 1703, and a few houses in Broad Street. around 1700, but then W.of High St. c1720; Mealcheapen St, 1730; Paradise Row, Tything, 1730-40; Synagogue c.1740; Foregate St. c.1790; (Hastings House - grand Palladian) Shades, Mealcheapen St. c.1750. The Guildhall and City Churches.
The second period includes: Sheepmarket 1792; Bridge St. 1771; Tything, Nurses Home and others c.1780; High St. 1800; Collage Yard 1794; Victoria House, Foregate St. C. 1790; New Shambles c.1780-1800, Trinity House 1766-1770.