The Plague Pit

  • 16 Jan 2012
  • Historical Studies
  • Back
Traditionally, the site of the plague pit was on the old sheepmarket in Angel Street, which originally was an orchard belonging to the Dominican Frairy, and was purchased by the Corporation in 1624. The ground was de-consecrated about 1800.

The 1637 Plague lasted from June 3, 1637 to April 9, 1638, and claimed 1,551 victims, or approximately one quarter of the population. All Saints parish had 167 deaths.