MENU
A chronicle of the history of the City of Worcester and the County of Worcestershire

History of Worcester & Worcestershire

Inns Articles

The Eagle Vaults

The Eagle Vaults

On the corner of Pump Street stands the Eagle Vaults, a good example of 1890 city tavern


High Street Inns

High Street Inns

The last inn in High Street, the Golden Lion, has sadly closed its doors. Much has been written about this historic 'poltical' inn, but there were others in High Street also of historic interest. One door away, on the south side, stood the King's Head.

Mitre

Mitre

St Peter's parish. There in 1664, and kept by Mrs.Dorothy Price in 1732. Soon after was converted into several tenements and three stables. At the same time, there was a Mitre Inn in High Street

Old Rectifying House

Old Rectifying House

North Parade, Generations of visitors have been intrigued as to the origin of its name. It comes simply from the fact that the rear of the building was part of the distillery, and refers to the rectifying of spirits.

Cheshire Cheese Inn

Cheshire Cheese Inn

On the site of what is now part of the Odeon Cinema. It was destroyed about 1829, and the Atheneum built on part of it, and the Natural History Society and Hasting's Museum built on the Foregate Street part.

The Corporation

The Corporation

The Corporation in the old days consisted of two bodies, the '24', which corresponded to our alderman; and the '48', which approximated to present day councillors.

Four Green Dragons Inns in Worcester - all of ancient foundations

Four Green Dragons Inns in Worcester - all of ancient foundations

Green Dragon, Cooken Street. This inn was built on the remains of an ancient house of great importance at the top of Cooken Street, known as the Earl's Post.

King's Head, Sidbury.

King's Head, Sidbury.

In 1690, described as a 'tenement in the parish of St.Peter's, nere adjoynynge the gate of the said cittie called Sudbury gate, and hath been knowen

Cross Inn, Cornmarket

Cross Inn, Cornmarket

That this inn existed, we can thank an entry in the Civil War diary of Henry Townshend, dated June 13, 1646, describing the great seige of Worcester:'the enemy shot off 13 cannons plating chiefly against St.Martin's Church

Three Cranes, Lich Street

Three Cranes, Lich Street

Described in 1601 as containing only three small rooms below and three over, with a cellar belonging to John Honnyett, butcher. In 1690 Anthony Hopkins held it. About the same time there was a house called the Three Cranes in High Street, and one called Three Pyes in Lich Street.

The Cock Inn, Sidbury

The Cock Inn, Sidbury

'Ye Cocke, at ye Knolle-end, Sidbury', was in c.1570 belonging to Hugh Adams, and was

Cross Keys

Cross Keys

St.Mary's Gate (Edgar Tower). In 1776, 'the Cross Keys near the Deanery Garden' changed its name to the Horse & Groom.

Cross Keys, Sidbury.

Cross Keys, Sidbury.

On, or next to, the site of the present White Hart, College Street. In 1690, Harry Green, a maltster held it, with Samuel Bryan, the printer of Worcester's first newspaper as his neighbour. It was pulled down previous to 1744,