The last inn in High Street, the Golden Lion, has sadly closed its doors. Much has been written about this historic 'poltical' inn, but there were others in High Street also of historic interest. One door away, on the south side, stood the King's Head.
North Parade, Generations of visitors have been intrigued as to the origin of its name. It comes simply from the fact that the rear of the building was part of the distillery, and refers to the rectifying of spirits.
On the site of what is now part of the Odeon Cinema. It was destroyed about 1829, and the Atheneum built on part of it, and the Natural History Society and Hasting's Museum built on the Foregate Street part.
That this inn existed, we can thank an entry in the Civil War diary of Henry Townshend, dated June 13, 1646, describing the great seige of Worcester:'the enemy shot off 13 cannons plating chiefly against St.Martin's Church
Described in 1601 as containing only three small rooms below and three over, with a cellar belonging to John Honnyett, butcher. In 1690 Anthony Hopkins held it. About the same time there was a house called the Three Cranes in High Street, and one called Three Pyes in Lich Street.
On, or next to, the site of the present White Hart, College Street. In 1690, Harry Green, a maltster held it, with Samuel Bryan, the printer of Worcester's first newspaper as his neighbour. It was pulled down previous to 1744,
The Prince of Wales Public House was situated in The Moors, Worcester, a mixed area of good residential houses of quality that kept servants (Britannia Square); of good substantial tradesmen's houses (Severn Terrace); and a lot of very poor terraced houses