MENU
About us

About us

Education for the Poor Articles

St John's Charity School

St John's Charity School

The last of the endowed school's of the City was in 'the township of St. John in Bedwardine', on the west bank of the Severn.It was a combined charity of two ladies who lived in St John's; Milberrow Doelittle in 1719 and Mercy Herbert in 1722.....


The Endowed and Chrity Schools in the City of Worcester

The Endowed and Chrity Schools in the City of Worcester

Worcester has two ancient endowed schools. They were the Cathedral King's School, which was of pre-Reformation foundation and was re-founded in 1541 by Henry VIII, and is still prospering strongly to this day and the Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School. founded in 1561, known as the Worcester Girls Grammar School but sadly closed in more recent times.....


Bishop Lloyd's Charity School

Bishop Lloyd's Charity School

The foundation of this school in 1714 was due to most unusual circumstances - a double murder in a village a few miles from Worcester. An account of the affair was given in Berrow's Journal of 1831, as follows: 'In the night of the 7th November, 1707, Mrs

Moore's Blue Coat School

Moore's Blue Coat School

Moore's Charity, sometimes called the Blue-coat Hospital was the earliest provision for the education of the labouring poor. Founded in 1626, by Thomas Moore, Alderman of Worcester, and Anne, sister of Sir Robert Berkeley  for bringing up poor children whose

We have now collated 487 articles on the History of Worcester & Worcestershire.