Historic and notable inns

Until 1848, the Cornmarket and the streets leading to the Cornmarket, was the commercial centre of the City. The Shades in Mealcheapen Street was one of the early city banks. All around were inns with large storage capacity, for corn was sold by sample in
Most of the Lowesmoor pubs have now closed, but all remained until 1914, and many into 1930s. Before the First World War, even into the 1930s, the 'Cross to Shrub Hill Run' was regarded as a test of a young man's manhood - certainly of his drinking capacity.
Adam & Eve,  High St. Mentioned in 1778; closed by 1850
Worcester Cathedral in the period 1100 to 1540 was one of the principal places of pilgrimage. Many ecclesiastical inns sheltered near the Cathedral, catering for the traveller and pilgrim. The first reference to the Cardinal's Hat is in 1497, when the inn
The Talbot Inn, now called the Old Talbot, was originally the Church House for St.Michael's, which stood in the Cathedral churchyard,
Taken over by Robert Allen in 1907.
Ceased brewing around 1939.
In 1884, Speckley Brothers bought Stallard's Britannia Brewery along with 7 public houses and changed the name to the Worcester Brewery.
Founded in 1869, the brewery buildings still remain alongside Crowngate shopping centre. Taken over by Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd (the full name of 'Marstons' brewery) of Burton on Trent in 1937.
The Barbourne Brewery, New Bank Street. The company was formed in October 1900, and originally called Robert Allen, Mumford & Co,
The Pack Horse was one of the staging houses on the Shrewsbury to London run, but dates earlier than the coaching era, for it is said to have held a licence since 1485.
Some of Worcester's Inns have been in existence for centuries. In the Middle Ages they gave hospitality to a multitude of travellers; pilgrims to the Cathedral, military personel,
The Prince of Wales Public House was situated in The Moors, Worcester, a mixed area of good residential houses of quality that kept servants (Britannia Square); of good substantial tradesmen's houses (Severn Terrace); and a lot of very poor terraced houses
Angel, Sidbury                            King's Arms, Lich St
From 1830 to 1869 there was agreat increase in the number of public houses, for any person of good character could obtain a beer-house licence for a tenement of certain rateable value.
Only the Old Talbot in College Street, and the Cardinal's Hat in Friar Street, remain of
This beautiful half-timbered building is of great age. It appears to have been an ecclesiastical inn, but at various periods, to have been used for other purposes.
On, or next to, the site of the present White Hart, College Street. In 1690, Harry Green, a maltster held it, with Samuel Bryan, the printer of Worcester's first newspaper as his neighbour. It was pulled down previous to 1744,
St.Mary's Gate (Edgar Tower). In 1776, 'the Cross Keys near the Deanery Garden' changed its name to the Horse & Groom.
'Ye Cocke, at ye Knolle-end, Sidbury', was in c.1570 belonging to Hugh Adams, and was
Described in 1601 as containing only three small rooms below and three over, with a cellar belonging to John Honnyett, butcher. In 1690 Anthony Hopkins held it. About the same time there was a house called the Three Cranes in High Street, and one called Three Pyes in Lich Street.
That this inn existed, we can thank an entry in the Civil War diary of Henry Townshend, dated June 13, 1646, describing the great seige of Worcester:'the enemy shot off 13 cannons plating chiefly against St.Martin's Church
In 1690, described as a 'tenement in the parish of St.Peter's, nere adjoynynge the gate of the said cittie called Sudbury gate, and hath been knowen
Green Dragon, Cooken Street. This inn was built on the remains of an ancient house of great importance at the top of Cooken Street, known as the Earl's Post.
The Corporation in the old days consisted of two bodies, the '24', which corresponded to our alderman; and the '48', which approximated to present day councillors.
On the site of what is now part of the Odeon Cinema. It was destroyed about 1829, and the Atheneum built on part of it, and the Natural History Society and Hasting's Museum built on the Foregate Street part.
North Parade, Generations of visitors have been intrigued as to the origin of its name. It comes simply from the fact that the rear of the building was part of the distillery, and refers to the rectifying of spirits.
St Peter's parish. There in 1664, and kept by Mrs.Dorothy Price in 1732. Soon after was converted into several tenements and three stables. At the same time, there was a Mitre Inn in High Street
The last inn in High Street, the Golden Lion, has sadly closed its doors. Much has been written about this historic 'poltical' inn, but there were others in High Street also of historic interest. One door away, on the south side, stood the King's Head.


Previous page: Articles
Next page: Historical and notable