Worcester People and Places

The Royal Albert Orphange


Category: Worcester People and Places
A relic of Victorian philanthropy exists in Henwick Road. Now used as a YMCA hostel, it was formerly the Royal Albert Orphanage. The building was large and costly, designed by William Watkins, a native of Rushock, near Droitwich, and errected in 1869 for thirty- eight boys and thirty- eight girls.
Though institutional inside it is one of the best Victorian buildings in Worcester, the front a delightful essay of Venetian Gothic in brick. The orphange was established by means of a donation from Mr. J. Wheeley and in 1862 occupied a house in St. John's, but, later, Richard Padmore gave £4000 to erect the present building.


Previous page: Articles
Next page: Historical and notable