Church Curiosities

High Street Public Houses


Category: Church Curiosities
In High Street there were two sets of public houses. Opposite the Guildhall, at No 31, was The Golden Lion, and next door at 32, (with the entrance down an entry) was the Bull's Head. Near the Cathedral were the other two; the Stationer' Arms at 102, and the Swan at 104. The Swan was next to St. Andrew's Rectory, (demolished c.1950), and as if being ashamed of close clerical company, did not look like a pub. In Directories it was sometimes recorded as a beer retailer, and even as a restaurant.


Previous page: Articles
Next page: Historical and notable